Saturday, October 30, 2010

Let's get some shoes!!

Every time I hear of someone working out in bare feet it makes me cringe (other than yoga/pilates, of course). In my opinion, the right shoes are so incredibly important to how well the workout goes. For me (I have rather weak ankles) so I make sure to wear a shoe with some lateral stability, especially when I am doing Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, or Turbo Fire. There is so much side-to-side motion in those classes, that it's crucial to have this type of support. I have 'rolled out' on my ankle, more than once, and it is NO FUN! Actually one time, I rolled out so badly that I sprained my ankle and couldn't do ANY cardio for 4 weeks! Yeah, that didn't make me happy, AT ALL.

I also have really flat feet, so picking shoes that do not have super-high arches are a must for me. Otherwise, about 30 minutes into the workout, I'm ready to stop altogether because the arches of my feet hurt so badly. I'm not looking for an easy-out here, it's just my sad little truth.
My shoe of choice is a Nike trail running shoe. This shoe provides lots of stability, as it should, since it is made for running on crazy terrain. It's a little bit of a heavier shoe, but I just tell myself that it is making me stronger since they weigh more. :) That said, many people can get away with regular crosstrainers when doing these classes or other typical gym workouts.

As far as shoe replacement goes, I believe that the general consensus is: crosstrainers and aerobics shoes should be replaced every 100 hours, running shoes every 400-500 miles, and walking shoes every 500 miles. However, if you feel that your shoes aren't providing you with the support you want/need...get new ones! Besides, who doesn't love shopping!!!?

Maybe you don't have the same issues as me - maybe you have different issues. Regardless, do yourselves a favor and go to a store, try on lots of different pairs of shoes, and pick what really works for YOU. You will be so happy that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment